who will build the Plan?
In a previous page we came to the conclusion that, in Lebanon, future
Lebanese governments should support participative governance and
However, the question that comes inevitably to mind is who exactly will be
involved in the National Plan’s preparation?
In our opinion, the National Plan must be truly “national”, to achieve its
purpose. This means that all the citizens should be given the opportunity to
express their opinion during the creation of that Plan and present their
suggestions and their recommendations. Some of the stakeholders who will
be invited to participate in the construction of the Plan are:
• All the NGOs involved in environment protection, civil right defense,
education development, disease treatment and prevention, fiscal policy, civic
behavior, poverty eradication, eco-tourism, road safety, consumer’s
• The experts in the sector of the Plan that comes under consideration
• The Lawyers
• The Economists
• The Bankers
• The members of Business Associations, such as the Lebanese
Chamber of Commerce, Agriculture and Industry
• The members of Professional Associations: lawyers, doctors, engineers,
• Syndicate officials and syndicate members
• The members of the Press and the information media
• The Civil servants employed in the Ministry concerned by the Plan
• The Members of the Lebanese Economic and Social Council who
represent a broad spectrum of the working population.
• The University undergraduates.
• In brief, theoretically, every citizen who is aware of the decision to build
a National Plan should be invited to formulate an opinion and present his/her
suggestions on any aspect of that Plan.
In the list above, it may be noticed that we omitted an important institution, the
CDR. The Council for Development and Reconstruction, CDR is a Lebanese
Public Authority established in 1977 to replace the Ministry of Planning. CDR
is responsible for wide-scale reconstruction and development projects in
Lebanon. For further details on that body visit http://www.cdr.gov.lb/.
From 1990 to this day the CDR has been engaged in the elaboration of
numerous National Plans and has also undertaken the execution of several
large scale projects in this country.
The experience gained by the CDR in that domain will be invaluable in the
study and in the elaboration of the National Plan. We sincerely hope that we
shall secure their support and benefit from their knowledge and their know
how during the course of the internship.
between the different stakeholders, the advisors, and the government
institutions who should jointly take part in the study and in the elaboration of a
National five year Plan.
|33. WHO WILL PLAN?